Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Science Don't Fail Me Now...

I wanted to share this article from Medical News Today about food addiction and substance dependency having very similar brain activity.  Although I think I should start off by saying that this does not necessarily mean that we ALL have an addiction to food.  In fact the article states that this new testing helps tell the food addicts from the over eaters.  I feel I have to say that because I too am guilty of hearing of some new explanation for being overweight and jumping all over it  like a dog in heat.  That being said, I think that it is great news that some people are in fact addicted to food.  I hope that these findings can help spur advancements in treatment for these patients and maybe in the way we approach weight loss in general.  I know that for me at least, my weight loss plan not only includes healthy eating and a good exercise regimen, but also a good look at the mental portion...at least it should.  I personally work out 4-5 days a week and try to eat healthy, but like all humans, I slip.  I've been maintaining my weight for months now, but I really would like to lose more.  There is something going on in my head that lends itself to self-sabotage and I need to address it.  Sadly, even if you were to find out that you are a food addict, there's no quick fix in the world of weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment